22 December 2016

Matcha energy balls

First time in my life I'm not going to spend Christmas in the Czech Republic. No unhealthy (but damn good) christmas cookies from my beloved granny. No carp but salmon as a main meal, no big family dinner but a tranquil and romantic evening with my love, no czech fairytales but watching american classics on Netflix. And to be honest, I'm glad that once I can shy away from these old traditions and try something new on the other side of the world. However, sometimes I miss the sweet smell of fatty cookies full of gluten. So I made some healthier kinds of treats and tomorrow we're going to make a potato salad to placate our homesick feelings.



For a long time, I have wanted to visit the Chinese supermarket in the centre of Vancouver. This week, I finally made it down there, and picked up a big packet of matcha (Japanese green tea powder). It seems like the sort of thing that is useful to have in the cupboard as for example oats or peanut butter. But not having the patience to wait for the perfect excuse to use it, I started to think what I could make with it. I don't like to drink it.  Then it hit me: why not try the energy balls with matcha? In addition, while walking in this Chinese supermarket I felt enthusiastically like I was in museum. OMG have you ever seen packed jellyfish prepared for eating? I felt there like a tourist during sightseeing tour... 
little word to the wise: don't eat too many of these matcha power balls before bed, or you'll be up all night. The real beauty of this matcha power ball recipe is that it is infinitely customisable. Don't have coconut milk? Try the almond or soya one.
 MATCHA BALLS
- dates (soaked in coconut milk for a smoother taste)- cacao-almomnd or coconut butter-matcha tea powder
Keep kneading everything together, being careful to smooth out any lumps or big chunks of dates, until everything is smoothly combined. Then, tear off ping pong ball-sized pieces, and roll them around in your hands to make balls.
Now for the fun part: Take a plate or bowl and add the matcha. Drop each ball in, swirling it around briefly so that the ball is lightly covered in matcha. 


MATCHA TRUFFLES
- 200g white chocolate
- 1 spoon of matcha
- 85g of heavy coconut milk + 1 spoon extra
- 45g coconut oil
- for covering: 2 spoons of matcha and 2 spoons of icing sugar or 1 spoon of powdered stevia 
In a bowl, combine the 1 spoon of coconut milk and 1 teaspoon of match until smooth.
Heat the coconut milk slowly, and boil for 30 seconds. Add the matcha paste and stir well. Pour the hot matcha mixture over the chocolate, and stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. 
Leave the mixture to cool, then leave in the fridge until firm (this can take some time). Form the ganache into truffles. Roll the truffles in matcha, and store in the fridge. You may need to re-roll the truffles just before serving for better effect


2 comments:

Thank you so much for your lovely comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...